Saturday, November 29, 2008

Day 6 - Trip to the emergency vet!

Things went from O.K. to worse this morning. I had a blood and mucous in my stool again and I didn't eat any breakfast. I really haven't eaten much for the last 4 days and foster mom and dad were getting worried. They know that a dog will rarely go beyond three days without eating unless something is wrong. Also I didn't want to drink any water this morning. Foster mom had a quick telephone consultation with the wise Kim B. and then she decided to take me to the vet. Well going to the vet isn't a 5 minute car ride, no, not here in the U.P. Going to the vet on a Saturday means calling the vet in Marquette (2 hours away) to arrange an emergency visit then packing up foster dad, Dinky, foster mom, and me. It's a shame that out of the three vets that are closer, none do after hours call or Saturday office hours.

We saw Dr. Mead at the Animal Medical Center who was very nice. She was very thorough in her exam. Maybe tooo thorough. I didn't expect to have that LARGE plastic scoop put in my "you know where". Dr. Mead says I have roundworm and she put me on medicine for that. She also gave me an antibiotic that I have to be on for a week in case I have colitis. She also gave me IV fluids under the skin of my back because I was a little dehydrated. She said my teeth are real bad so I'll have to be on a different antibiotic for 3 days before my dental and for 7 days after. Dr. Mead also commented that my left front leg is deviated and it looks like it was broken at one time and I wasn't taken to a doctor for proper care so it healed wrong.

The great news is that when I got home mom gave me some special, low-residue, food that Dr. Mead gave us and I ate it all!! I think the fluids really helped me alot.

No comments: